I've been trying to use more quinoa in my diet to up my protein game. So, I decided to mix and match my tacos for dinner last week. Instead of my usual lentil tacos I decided to use quinoa and black beans. To me the quinoa is too loose by itself so I added the black beans to add some more texture.
I've always had a love hate relationship with quinoa in the past. It always felt like it had no real taste or just didn't full me up enough. I would follow the directions on the package to cook it and be disappointed by the end of the meal. I never considered seasoning it up a bit until now. So, in this recipe, I added, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder and other seasonings and boiled it down with half water, half broth instead of just plain water. It tasted a whole lot better than I imagined. I added my canned black beans as well to give it a little more oomph that would full me up for longer.
Below is my boiled down quinoa. Not only is it gorgeous looking but also healthy.
If you're looking for a little variety other than rice, or pasta, try some quinoa. As long as you season it right, it will be a tasty option for weeknight meals, or your Taco Tuesday night dinner.
Quinoa Black Bean Tacos
Makes: 6-8 servings
- 1 cup organic red quinoa
- 1 cup organic canned black beans
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth or stock
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Taco Shells
- ½ tsp salt or to your taste
- Rinse quinoa in cold water for 2 minutes. Place quinoa and 1 cup water and 1 cup broth in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes or until all water is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and add seasonings and black beans and stir to combine
Note: for fillings you can use - salsa, corn, or chopped lettuce.