A meaty, flavor packed black bean burger filled with only seven budget friendly ingredients. Great for a vegan summer backyard BBQ or gathering.
This healthy, black bean burger can technically qualify as breakfast, lunch and dinner in my opinion. A few weeks ago, I accidentally forgot to bring the buns to work and was pleasantly surprised at how well they were without the bun. It can also serve as a breakfast patty and of course, with the bun for dinner with all the fixings and a side of baked sweet potatoes fries.
The few veggie burgers I have tried were delicious but a little bit on the soft side. When you're a new vegan it can be hard to find the right texture with vegan burgers. With these black bean burgers, the added rice gives it a more meaty texture and also doesn't make it too bean-y.
If you don't cook with oil, I'm sure it could still work with maybe a little water although I have not tried that. As you can see they keep the patty shape beautifully. The trick is to not make them too thick or too thin. Too thick and you will get a really mushy middle, too thin and they will probably just fall apart.
These black bean burgers are also very easy and quick to make especially if you have ready-made or frozen rice. Canned black beans or from the pouch are also part of my go to options since I don't have time after work to wait for the beans to cook and then use them. The salsa was from Trader Joe's but any store bought salsa will work. I did try it with fresh salsa once but felt that it lacked some taste.
Black Bean Burger
Makes: 4-5 small patties
- 1 cup (canned) black beans
- 1 Tbsp garlic (minced)
- 3 Tbsp salsa (fresh or jar)
- ½ cup Jazzmine or brown rice (cooked)
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp salt
- 2-3 Tbsp of Grapeseed oil
- Cook rice according to package. (I used ready to eat Jazzmine rice)
- Place all ingredients except oil in food processor and pulse a few times. Press and form about ½ inch thick patties with your hands.
- Place a large skillet on low to medium heat, and add oil.
- Place patties in skillet and cook on both sides for a few minutes until golden brown.