I started off wanting to make a soup without using coconut milk. I seem to be using a lot of it and wanted to avoid it this week. It turned out just as creamy and filling as any of my other soups.
The potato added some protein, and the broccoli with its vitamin C will hopefully help us get over the sniffles this week. I was also happy that it took under 30 minutes to make this soup.
Vegan Broccolli Potato Chowder
- 5 small/medium golden potatoes (cubed)
- 3 Tbsp vegan butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3-4 cups frozen or fresh broccoli
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 3 cups rice milk
- 1 tsp salt
- Chop potatoes into small cubes.
- Melt butter in large pot, over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until soft and clear.
- Add flour into onion and garlic mixture and stir vigorously to combine for a few seconds. Stir in rice milk a little at a time. Mixture will thicken.
- Add vegetable broth, salt and potatoes. Let simmer until potatoes are cooked, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add broccoli and let cook for another 2 minutes until broccoli is cooked/softened.
- Add tbsp of nutritional yeast (optional)
- Remove from heat and enjoy.