A vegan cake can be moist and rich with ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen. No eggs, no apple cider vinegar, no flax eggs needed. The main ingredient is mayonanaise?
It seems like this week is all about the shock value. I made carrot dogs last weekend and here we are with yet another crazy vegan recipe. Vegan chocolate mayo cake - it's bananas! But, seriously, let's take a look at my mayo cake, it's rich, moist and the cream cheese frosting is to die for. My only regret is that I didn't slather more frosting on there. Seriously, why didn't I consider buying another block of vegan cream cheese? If you make this, do yourself a favor and get more frosting on there.
So, about the crazy ingredient - Mayonnaise. Why use it? Well, because...why not? My vegan mayo is rich and creamy, full of just the right amount of fats for a cake and the mayo is totally undetetectable in the cake. A win win in my opinion.
This cake is also lightning fast to make, it takes 25-30 minutes tops, any longer and it will be too dry. A great holiday or birthday cake you can whip up in a pinch. Top this with some vegan ice cream and you'll be in dessert heaven.
Hope you enjoy!
Vegan Chocolate Mayo Cake
Makes: 12 servings
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a large bowl sift flour,cocoa powder, baking soda and add salt.
- in another large bowl,whisk mayonnaise, sugar, water and vanilla until blended.
- Pour batter into 9 inch cake pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick places in center is clean.
Vegan Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes: 2 Cups
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder.
- 5 Tbsp vegan butter (room temp).
- 2 cups powdered sugar.
- 1 (8 oz) Daiya plain cream cheese (room temp).
- In a large bowl, add sifted cocoa powder and powdered sugar.
- Add block of softened or room temp daiya cream cheese.
- Mix all ingredients together with a hand mixer until smooth. Refrigerate for a few hours before using on cooled cake.