A weeknight favorite in my house used to be Trader Joe's Penne Arrabiatta.
When I first bought this item I couldn't believe how good it tasted, usually pasta and sauce doesn't quite do it for it for me as far as keeping me full for long.
But, this pasta dish was the total opposite, it was very filling and filled with flavor too. So, naturally I had to try and recreate it from scratch.
My homemade version turned out even better and tasted exactly like the store bought version. Happy Dance!
The key is to salt your water while boiling. The salt gets soaked up into the pasta so that it's not bland when you're ready to add your other ingredients. While you wait for your pasta to boil, the tomato paste and chopped tomatoes are seasoned and waiting for the pasta to be added to the mixture.
A weeknight pasta dish that's quick and easy.
Vegan Penne Arrabiatta
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 3 Tbsp salt
- 4 qts water
- 1 (6oz) can tomato paste
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes - no salt added
- 1 Tbsp Parsley
- 2 Tbsp oil + 4 Tbsp oil
- On medium heat, boil water in large pot, with 3 Tbsp of salt
- In a large saucepan saute garlic in 2 Tbsp of oil until golden and fragrant.
- Add tomato paste, chopped tomatoes, and chili powder. Stir for a few minutes and remove from heat.
- When pasta is done remove 1/4 cup pasta water for later.
- Drain pasta.
- Pour drained pasta into pasta mixture and mix well.
- Pour in 1/4 cup of pasta water and remaining 4 Tbsp of oil and mix until well coated.
Inspired by Trader Joe’s Penne Arrabiatta. Original recipe